[Eril-l] Is Wiley Online Library accessible to you?

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Sun Jan 21 06:54:37 PST 2018

Thanks to everyone on- and off-list who contacted me about my question. It seems likely (and I hope it’s the case) that Wiley representatives are reading about this incident and learning from it. As I wrote on Twitter to the two official Wiley Twitter accounts, it’s rare for me to publicly criticize a vendor, but this is a case where I think they’ve done researchers a real disservice. I’m glad to hear from others for example that there was no prior warning of this downtime (I looked everywhere I could think of and didn’t find any communications we had received), and as far as I can tell, there have been no ongoing communications about this outage from Wiley to its customers. I’ll be using this situation as a case study of what not to do in the courses I teach.

And as of this hour, article-level linking from our OpenURL service generates a 503 error. It appears that the site is available when you go directly to it, but when I navigate to an individual article PDF, I am unable to download it.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor and Group Leader for Resource Description and Digital Initiatives
Buswell Library, Wheaton College (IL)
+1 (630) 752-5852

President, NASIG<http://www.nasig.org/>
[cid:image001.png at 01D39295.7748ABB0]