[Eril-l] EBSCO DDA accounts

Patrick Hartsfield jhartsfield at springfieldcollege.edu
Thu Aug 16 06:22:32 PDT 2018

We had a similar situation last summer, with three 1-2 day flurries of
purchases totaling close to $11K and shut down the DDA. A number of the
triggered titles didn't appear to be in subject areas that would normally
be in our pool, though we didn't have a way to confirm whether they were
actually in our pool or not. The other odd thing was that shortly afterward
we noticed that clicking links to some Ebsco ebooks (can't remember if it
was just the triggered titles or others as well) took us to the
authentication page for a nearby large state university rather than to our
own. The linking issue was fixed but I never got a good explanation of what
the issue was. They verified all purchases came from within our IP range
but I still feel that the two issues were connected even if Ebsco didn't
acknowledge it. It took several months of working with our account rep, but
in the end we were credited for about 65% of the purchases. The other 35%
of the titles saw subsequent usage after triggering so this was a
compromise we were willing to make. We still have access to all triggered
titles (even the credited ones) which made the compromise a little more

*Patrick Hartsfield | Assistant Director for Collections and Metadata*

Springfield College
Office of Library Services

263 Alden Street
Springfield, Massachusetts 01109

springfield.edu | 413-748-3784
jhartsfield at springfield.edu

> ------------------------------
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 09:59:08 -0300
> From: Melissa Belvadi <mbelvadi at upei.ca>
> To: "Harper, Cynthia" <charper at vts.edu>
> Cc: "eril-l (eril-l at lists.eril-l.org)" <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org>
> Subject: Re: [Eril-l] EBSCO DDA accounts
> Message-ID:
>         <CAMOCdcKLs10B7ehDhE-xMgfhoVDjbMj9eRXeQjCUqW+
> dxFkvbw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> Not here. Have you looked at the particular books ordered and see if
> there's an obvious subject pattern, maybe a particular researcher suddenly
> very active?
> Melissa Belvadi
> Collections Librarian
> University of Prince Edward Island
> mbelvadi at upei.ca 902-566-0581
> my public calendar
> <http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mbelvadi%
> 40upei.ca&ctz=America/Halifax&mode=week>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Harper, Cynthia <charper at vts.edu> wrote:
> > Has anyone experienced weird activity in their EBSCO DDA account
> > recently?  We had $2400 spent in two days on Aug. 1-2. I left the budget
> > unfilled and the account suspended until my boss was back from vacation,
> > but asked if EBSCO could verify where the sudden activity came from. I
> > didn?t hear back from them.  I just replenished the account with a $3000
> > deposit, and I haven?t heard that that order has been applied yet, but I
> > did get two messages this afternoon ? one that my balance was $445, and
> one
> > that it was suspended (again???)
> >
> >
> >
> > Anyone else see unusual activity?
> >
> > Cindy Harper
> >
> > Vts.edu
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Eril-l mailing list
> > Eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
> > http://lists.eril-l.org/listinfo.cgi/eril-l-eril-l.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.eril-l.org/pipermail/eril-l-eril-l.org/attachments/20180816/52780c96/attachment.html>

More information about the Eril-l mailing list