[Eril-l] Collection Development policy statements around "canned courses"

Judith Nagata jnagata at coastal.edu
Thu Feb 23 10:32:03 PST 2017

I am also very interested in this topic. I have had similar discussions with colleagues at a few institutions on foreign language learning software (e.g. Mango), expensive streaming videos for specific courses, accounting software/content that only a few classes will use, etc.  Although one can argue that the library supports the university’s mission of teaching and learning (and should buy and license the resources), the library has to pick and choose resources and needs some sort of parameters to maintain their budget. I am wondering if anyone has made a distinction between content and tools (bad word because this can also cover discovery services) or research and learning (also problematic) as part of their collection development policy?

Great question, James.

Judith Nagata
Electronic Resources Librarian
Kimbel Library and Bryan Information Commons
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054

Ph: 843-349-5018