[Eril-l] Collection Development policy statements around "canned courses"

James Buczynski jamesbuczynski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 07:57:52 PST 2017

Good Morning,

Many of our long time traditional vendors are beginning to offer “canned
courses” as part of their product mix. Add in all the new vendors offering
“educational content” and you end up with a growing trickle of requests to
license access to things that in the past were outside our domain. It’s
increasingly difficult to know what is, and is not us. Some recorded
lectures on DVD or streamed online, okay, sure we can do that. An online
canned course with readings, video lectures, exercises, and online
quizzes….humm, is that library, College IT Services, college bookstore or
the requestor’s department that would fulfill that request especially if
institutional licensing is now available?

I’m looking for collection development *policy statements* that address
this burgeoning marketplace of eLearning content. The statements can be,
yes we do that; or no we don’t. Rather than a flood (I’m optimistic this is
widely figured out) of links to collection development policies, snippets
of the relevant clauses would be most helpful.

Thank you,

James

James A. Buczynski

Collections Coordinator

Seneca Libraries

Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology

King Campus, Garriock Hall

13990 Dufferin Street, King City, Ontario, L7B 1B3

Ph: 416.491.5050x55197

Fax: 905.833.1106

Email: james.buczynski at senecacollege.ca