[Eril-l] Collection Development policy statements around "canned courses"

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Thu Feb 23 10:48:39 PST 2017

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I would love to say we have all our
parameters spelled out in our collection policy, but our policy is lagging
far behind actual practice. We have been putting collection dollars toward
quite a few resources that support faculty and students only in specific
departments, or for streaming video on limited occasions, and this has been
happening for quite a while. For example, obviously our campus computing
department pays for and supports the institution-wide courseware, but a
different department on campus provides Endnote licensing, and the library
pays for JoVE. Another example is Lynda training videos, which the library
has paid for until just recently, when the price and access options
exceeded the library's ability to manage and pay for it. So we have a real
mix of what we're doing and not doing, but we need to update our policy so
that we can determine reasonable limits.

Sorry I have no relevant snippets as originally requested, but will be
interested in anything posted to the list.

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library
University of Alaska Fairbanks