[Eril-l] sharing cancellations with campus faculty

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Fri Sep 30 10:38:48 PDT 2016

Colleagues

I am looking for ideas on the best way to share information with our campus
faculty, on the resources we cancel. We're doing massive cuts that will hit
all sectors of campus. In the past, we've circulated lists of resources we
were likely to cut and asked for feedback. Now we're shifting into looking
at each and every single renewal that comes through and deciding whether to
keep or cut, and we want to make this list publicly accessible. It's not so
much for feedback, although I'm sure we'll get a few "don't you dare!"
it's just a track record to show that we made it public before canceling.

If others have done this, have you used a Google spreadsheet, website, or
what format for sharing the information? Email is not an option, because we
are sharing 100% of our decisions and there is too much volume. Instead,
we'll post everything in real time, and give them a place to look so they
can see what is happening. We'll post title, cost, and use information, at
least as a start.

If that sounds a bit crazy, it is, but we're in truly crazy times right
now, budget freefall. I'd appreciate any ideas that worked - or even didn't
work - at other institutions.

Many thanks,

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer