[Eril-l] New RefWorks accounts and edit record failure consistent problem

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Thu Oct 27 06:44:02 PDT 2016

Hi, all.
This is for those who have started to use the New RefWorks, and relates to
accounts that are created entirely as NR accounts, not migrated from old
accounts.

It suddenly struck me that every single account I've helped new students
create, every one, starts off with the function to edit records broken, and
they have to email RefWorks support to get it fixed.

I am wondering if others are seeing this, or if there could be something
wrong with UPEI's institutional account that could be causing this
corruption in new accounts.

Here is the precise workflow:

Student comes to appointment with me to set up and learn how to use
RefWorks for the first time.
We do everything on their own laptop, because I plan to include
Write-n-Cite installation as part of the session. We're on the campus
student wireless network, so unproxied.

We start with creating the new account.  There are no errors in that
process.
We leave that tab open.
We open a new tab to our Ebsco Discovery Service and do a sample search to
select some records.
We use EDS's function to export a bunch of selected records to the New
RefWorks.
This creates a new open RefWorks tab even though we had left the original
one open, so I close the original tab so we can keep working in the new tab.
I explain about APA and capitalization, and we immediately click on one of
the citations that needs the article title capitalization fixed. We click
on the little pencil at the far right to edit it.
This opens the editing sidebar on the right.
We fix the capitalization in the title, then click on Save at the top of
that sidebar.
We get at the top centre of the window the message in a red and white
banner:
*"Sorry something went wrong. Please try again."*

Trying again does absolutely no good.  We are unable to save the editing
changes.

We send Support an email.

I don't hear back from the student later, so I don't know if that gets the
problem resolved or not.

I haven't had a single new student that I have NOT had this problem with.

Are others seeing this problem?

Has anyone found out if there's something that can be done to avoid it or
solve it without involving RefWorks Support?

--
Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian