[Eril-l] Purchasing restricted databases on behalf of other departments on campus

Crawford, Laurel Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu
Tue Oct 18 08:40:44 PDT 2016

Hello colleagues,

We manage WRDS and some other business databases on behalf of our College of Business: the library sets up the purchasing, manages access, and processes the invoices; the College of Business reimburses us for the cost. WRDS imposes restrictions on access (limited to faculty and doctoral students + masters students who can prove they're in a class requiring access).

We are reconsidering this arrangement and have two questions related to this situation:

*         Do other libraries have experience with providing access to restricted resources like WRDS from the library budget? Would you say providing access to restricted resources is a typical situation for an academic library? Currently we have a rule against purchasing restricted-access databases with library funding, but we would like to know what other libraries do.

*         Do other libraries have experience with managing resources another department pays for? Do you have any advice about how best to structure such an arrangement?

Thanks in advance. Feel free to contact me offlist if you wish.

Regards,

Laurel Sammonds Crawford
Coordinator of Collection Development
University of North Texas Libraries