[Eril-l] FW: charge for provision of purchased PQ HNP archive

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Sat Mar 12 06:03:39 PST 2016

I agree that this is an important issue, which is why I raised it here. I also agree (and suspect) that the original license language might have been vague and didn’t address this issue directly or clearly. I may not be correct in this but what I wonder is whether ProQuest agreed to the ownership principle by including that option in its license at the request of libraries, charged a lot extra for it upfront, but did not plan for libraries to take them up on that right. Well, we are now, and they seem ill-prepared for it.

I understand that things change and there are real costs to providing the data. What I do not understand is lack of clear or consistent communication from a vendor about that reality up front, as those costs become clear and new delivery mechanisms are established.

Our interest in having a local copy of this archive comes from a digital humanities perspective rather than a preservation one, or a desire to “roll our own” in terms of an end user interface. We are current subscribers to the resource.

In talking with a variety of people offlist, I’ve learned a lot. For example, one of ProQuest’s main competitors seems to do a much better job of handling archival access for libraries.

Steve

Steve Oberg<http://www.wheaton.edu/Academics/Faculty/O/Steve-Oberg>
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials