[Eril-l] Streaming Video Options

Jami Trawick jtrawick at saclibrary.org
Thu Feb 18 09:27:14 PST 2016

Good morning,

I'd like to look at streaming video options out there. A quick poll, if you are willing:

1-      What streaming video options does your library utilize and has anyone had success securing a commercial model for library use (like Netflix - I figure it can't hurt to ask).

2-      Anything at all you'd like to share about streaming video?

3-      Totally unrelated question: What percentage of your budget goes to digital resources, not counting databases?

We currently use OverDrive. When we added some of their cost per circ options, our circulation doubled. And then Warner Bros. pulled from that model. I have decided for now that the selection of streaming for libraries is not ideal (and as a public library we cater to the public). But, our admittedly small sample experience with OverDrive's cost per circ streaming video options has me believing that quantity satiates when quality (relative, of course) is lacking.

The percentage of our budget allocated to electronic resources, not counting databases, is around 21%. This includes OverDrive and Cloud Library (3M/Bibliotheca). It does not include Zinio (online and downloadable magazines).

Thanks - I appreciate your responses and am willing to compile a list for everyone. Just let me know if you'd be interested.
Jami

Jami Trawick
Collection Development Coordinator
Sacramento Public Library