[Eril-l] How do you manage database trials at your institutions?

Erin Gallagher EGALLAGHER at Rollins.edu
Wed Aug 24 05:21:18 PDT 2016

Hello colleagues,
Huge thanks to everyone who has responded thus far, and also thanks for the reminder about checking past conversations from the listserv before posting questions.  I’ve organized the responses into a Word doc and have attached.
Cheers,
Erin

Erin Gallagher
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Olin Library
Rollins College
1000 Holt Avenue
Winter Park, FL 32789
egallagher at rollins.edu<mailto:egallagher at rollins.edu>
(407) 975-6431

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Steve Oberg
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:10 PM
To: eril-l <eril-l at lists.eril-l.org>
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] How do you manage database trials at your institutions?

Back in March, a similar question was posed here, so I hope it’s ok if I cut and paste from my response to that email.

We don’t have a formal policy per sé but rather a set of expectations. Here are the elements:

  *   We only run database trials once a year, in a set timeframe of the academic year that’s most conducive to obtaining good use and feedback
  *   Subject librarians cannot request a subscription to or purchase of a database without first requesting a trial (assuming that trials are available — sometimes they aren’t, so there are exceptions)
  *   Every request for a new database must be accompanied by a detailed rationale
  *   Subject librarians are expected to request a trial for a database only after a preliminary review of suitability, content, etc.
  *   All database trials are public, meaning, we advertise their availability to all faculty and students and we request feedback from them and take their feedback (or lack thereof) as a major factor in making a decision to purchase or subscribe
  *   All trials are initiated/run by me
In terms of the financial feasibility question, our thinking is to focus on the content first, and if it feels a justified need to support areas of our curriculum, we’ll try to figure out how we can afford a database. Of course, there are times when a particular database is so off the charts expensive that it is extremely unlikely we’ll ever obtain it. But there are times when we might seek additional funding in order to be able to afford a particular database. I hope this helps.

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials
Wheaton College (IL)