[Eril-l] How do you manage database trials at your institutions?

Bhatt, Anjana abhatt at fgcu.edu
Wed Aug 24 08:12:10 PDT 2016

Hi all, I just shared my article on e-trials with all of you. Hope you find it useful.

Just wanted to share a little more.  Since I did this article, we have changed the number of simultaneous trials. We are now open to conducting 4 simultaneous trials instead of restricting to only two. We noticed that 2 trials only at a time restriction resulted in big queues.  We did not want our librarians to wait that long so we increased the limit to 4.

We noticed that at times our subject librarians just wanted to explore it before setting up an extended trial for all.  So, now we have also started setting up an initial trial with a user ID and password for a week or 15 days just for the subject librarian and set up a full fledge trial only if she/he thinks it is worth opening to all and requests for it.

I request vendors to send me the trial details  (URL etc.) at least one week before the actual trial begins, because it gives me extra time to review and request the trial set up and it also give some time to our web development librarian to take care of it.

I have also noticed that Fall semester is the busiest period for trials and summer is very slow.  Two reasons for a slow summer: Subject librarians are busy doing their own projects and taking vacations etc. Second, most of the college faculty is off during summer and subject librarians do not want to run trials in their absence.

My two cents and enjoy your Wednesday.

Anjana

Thanks & Regards.
Anjana.

Anjana  H. Bhatt
University Librarian (Electronic Resources)
Florida Gulf Coast University Library<http://library.fgcu.edu/>
10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6501
Office Location: Library West 236
Phone: 239-590-7634<tel:239-590-7634>, Fax: 239-590-7609<tel:239-590-7609>, E-mail: abhatt at fgcu.edu<mailto:abhatt at fgcu.edu>
http://library.fgcu.edu/FAC/abhatt/bhatt.htm
FGCU library provide services that support student pursuits for academic success and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation and classroom instruction.  Florida has a very broad public records    law.  As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University employees is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
"The world is a book. Your soul is the title page." ~ Rumi