[Eril-l] Advertising new electronic resources

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Sun Sep 13 13:14:28 PDT 2015

I’ve appreciated all of the responses to this question because this issue is something I feel particularly strongly about. I don’t think this is done well enough in many instances and there are lots of reasons for that.

My library does many of the same things as have already been mentioned. I find it is challenging at times to help other library colleagues be engaged and well informed in e-resources stuff, let alone marketing them to our users. One method I use to help do this is to maintain a blog that is for library personnel only. About once a year I remind everyone about the blog and give instructions on how they can sign up for RSS or email alerts whenever something is posted there. A colleague of mine whose job is outreach is responsible for public-facing marketing and awareness, including for e-resources.

I decided to devote an entire course section to this topic in my E-Resources Management course (LIS590ER) at the University of Illinois.

One other resource to mention that might be helpful is the following:

Kennedy, Marie R, and Cheryl LaGuardia. 2013. Marketing Your Library’s Electronic Resources: A How-to-Do-It Manual for Librarians. Chicago: Neal-Schuman.

Marie has written about this issue before and her article is also worth reading:

Kennedy, Marie. 2011. “What Are We Really Doing to Market Electronic Resources?” Library Management 32 (3): 144–58. doi:10.1108/01435121111112862.

Steve

Steve Oberg<http://www.wheaton.edu/Academics/Faculty/O/Steve-Oberg>
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials