[Eril-l] funding for DDA/PDA

Rick Anderson rick.anderson at utah.edu
Fri Sep 25 09:58:59 PDT 2015

Although we heavily rely here on DDA, we also still purchase print, but with extreme budget cuts we can no longer afford allocating large sums to the "just in case" method. Just can't do it or justify it; there are too many other priorities fighting their way to the top of the budget.

This is indeed a really, really difficult dimension of the issue. The question about print books isn’t just whether they’re valuable, but how their value stacks up against that of the other valuable things we have to buy.

And of course that’s also the question about ebooks, databases, print journals, ejournals, A/V materials, etc. Our job isn’t only to identify and purchase things that are valuable—that’s the fun and relatively easy part—but also to choose between multiple valuable things when we can’t afford all of them. That’s the difficult and frustrating part.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication
Marriott Library, University of Utah
Desk: (801) 587-9989
Cell: (801) 721-1687
rick.anderson at utah.edu