[Eril-l] Print vs. E-books in context/in tandem

Swindler, Luke luke_swindler at unc.edu
Fri Sep 25 11:25:30 PDT 2015

Just as we need to consider librarian book selection within the larger context of what other means of providing relevant books are available and how the value of title-by-title acquisitions competes with other collections functions, so too do we need to go beyond simplistic dichotomies of print circulation vs. e-book usage.

Based on published research together with the UNC experience and bringing up points that have not yet been mentioned:

  *   • Print and e-books use exist in tandem, with differentials, complementarities, and interactions;
  *   • The more e-books available to users, the more accustomed they are to using them, which depresses print book circulation;
  *   • When both book formats are available, print circulation is further depressed—especially when e-books acquisitions concentrate on the better publishers who typically produce higher use books, as is the case at UNC;
  *   • UNC has found print circulation is still further depressed when titles in both formats are available, because e-books are used before their print counterparts and presumably as a result readers find they do not want the print book and/or the e-books provides the needed information;
  *   • While print book circulation generally is declining all academic libraries, UNC has found that pursuing some of the strategies above has accelerated this decline;
  *   • As libraries acquire more e-books, their aggregate use increases;
  *   • As academic libraries acquire more print books, their aggregate circulation almost invariably declines;
  *   • Within this context, overall print book acquisitions are a loser proposition and, where such is the case, libraries need to cut their loses by reducing print purchases accordingly and the time spent on acquiring them.

Luke Swindler