[Eril-l] funding for DDA/PDA

Karen Jensen kljensen at alaska.edu
Fri Sep 25 09:51:02 PDT 2015

Great discussion.

I think a missing piece (here anyway, there is plenty in the literature) is
whether or not patrons even know about the print books we're acquiring.
Librarians doing selection don't always do as much work on promotion, and
yet here at UAF we've widely promoted our e-book programs; everyone knows
about those. If we spent as much time and effort letting patrons know about
the print books we buy, would use increase? We've seen a steady 10+ year
decline in print use, even before e-books, and we didn't promote print
prior to that decline either, so perhaps that's not the issue. Still, I
have to wonder, because new faculty and students often do not know how to
use the catalog, how to find a book on the shelf, and many avoid the
physical library altogether; they have no idea what we have. I often see
the "aha" look when talking with groups or classes; "you have that?!"
 Printed books simply aren't in their consciousness any more. And some
faculty just buy books they need; they don't want to use a library copy
because it's inconvenient, they would have to return it or renew it, etc.
Lots of reasons, lots of possibilities. What other barriers are we putting
up between our patrons and our collections?

Although we heavily rely here on DDA, we also still purchase print, but
with extreme budget cuts we can no longer afford allocating large sums to
the "just in case" method. Just can't do it or justify it; there are too
many other priorities fighting their way to the top of the budget.

Karen Jensen
Collection Development Officer
Rasmuson Library
University of Alaska Fairbanks