[Eril-l] Is Breaking Up THAT Hard to Do?

Colleen A McGhee-French cmcghee at wellesley.edu
Mon Nov 9 08:04:32 PST 2015

Hi all,

I tried searching the archives of this list, but perhaps I am not doing it
correctly. I couldn't find any discussion of the idea of/implementation
of/success with breaking up journal packages.

Yet I would think we all have them - huge, huge journal packages, each
containing more than 1200 or so journals, only a fraction of which are
important/used - sometimes very important/highly used, each also containing
hundreds of journals that we're paying for that have not been used in the
last several years, at least to our knowledge.

Has your institution thought about this? Tried it? Succeeded/failed at it,
and why? What were the largest obstacles to success?

Or has your institution thought about it and figured, Hey - the very
important journals are used SO MUCH that the package overall is actually
fairly economical and that *those* are the journals to concentrate on
(rather than the huge number of unused journals)?

Thoughts?

Colleen