[Eril-l] ALCTS CRS College and Research Libraries Interest Group at 2015 ALA Annual: Open Classrooms, Open Libraries - Academic library services supporting the creation and use of open education resources

Bulock, Christopher J christopher.bulock at csun.edu
Thu Jun 4 11:01:39 PDT 2015

The ALCTS Continuing Resources Section College and Research Libraries Interest Group invites you to attend the following program at ALA Annual in San Francisco:

________________________________

Open Classrooms, Open Libraries: Academic library services supporting the creation and use of open education resources

Sunday, June 28th, 8:30-9:30 am

Moscone Convention Center room 236-238 (S)

http://alaac15.ala.org/node/29157<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__alaac15.ala.org_node_29157&d=AwMFAg&c=Oo8bPJf7k7r_cPTz1JF7vEiFxvFRfQtp-j14fFwh71U&r=rZyVSJe_Ejuqpo6qG_A-KUzzOQrVF9ePONYE6jOnbmU&m=2G0cXTuiNt5ZLhhUPKxkhj8k58PE9lLe6PkAVzKD4Rg&s=iRRMHVwQQmy1hRPyMlxjfYKMZn5wcoDMupzY9eZJ5UQ&e=>

Speaker: Sara Faye Cohen, Open Textbook Network

Title:  The Open Textbook Network: libraries working together to advance open textbooks

Description: Over the last three years, the Open Textbook Library, now hosting upwards of 175 complete open textbook titles, has built these titles' credibility and increased faculty exposure to open textbooks by incentivizing textbook reviews by faculty from institutions across the country.  Libraries have been at the core of our outreach and are our most integral partners in reaching faculty and building capacity on campuses for open textbooks.  At the invitation of our partner libraries, we've visited dozens of schools to seed and support their open education programs.  As a result, our partner institutions' data shows that over 40% of their faculty attendees to our workshops adopt an open textbook. This small pilot group of faculty has saved students over $410,000 in textbook costs in less than three years.

This presentation will introduce attendees to the Open Textbook Network - a consortium of institutions working to help faculty overcome barriers to adoption of open textbooks, increase institutional capacity to support faculty adoption and use of open textbooks, and collaboratively develop new understandings and best practices of open textbook adoption and use.  Attendees will learn more about what's to come for the Open Textbook Library, our partners, our data, and why open textbooks are a sustainable avenue towards initiating and sustaining open education programming.

Bio: Sarah Faye Cohen is the Managing Director of the Open Textbook Network.  Formerly the Associate University Librarian at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, Sarah joined the Open Textbook Network to foster libraries' strategic role in advancing access, discovery, and engagement with open textbooks.  Sarah is a graduate of Smith College and GSLIS at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, where she was awarded the Rediger Award for Intellectual Curiosity.  She is a two-time award winner of the Association of College and Research Libraries Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.

Speaker: Beth Turtle, Kansas State University

Title: The Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative

Description: The Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative has been operating at Kansas State University since 2013. Funding partners include the Student Governing Association, K-State Libraries and more recently, central administration. This project awards stipends up to $5,000 to K-State faculty to develop an alternative to the traditional print textbook. To date, awards totaling $150,000 have been made. Over the next year, it is projected that over 12,000 students in 32 courses will not have to buy textbooks saving students nearly $1,000,000. In addition, faculty are finding that benefits beyond cost savings include the use of more relevant, interactive and timely learning materials. This presentation will cover funding of the project, collaborations involved in the operation of the initiative, and a look at preliminary assessment data.

Bio: Beth Turtle is the Scholarly Communications librarian at K-State Libraries. She is a strong advocate for open access at K-State and has been involved in various OA initiatives including the K-State Open Access Publishing Fund, New Prairie Press, copyright and author rights consultation, and the Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative. She holds an MLIS from Emporia State University and a BS from the University of Kansas.

ALCTS Continuing Resources Section College and Research Libraries Interest Group co-Chairs

Chris Bulock

Electronic Resources Librarian

California State University, Northridge

christopher.bulock at csun.edu<mailto:christopher.bulock at csun.edu>

Buddy Pennington

Director of Collections and Access Management

University of Missouri--Kansas City

penningtonb at umkc.edu<mailto:penningtonb at umkc.edu>