[Eril-l] ALCTS President's Program at ALA: Deep Reading in the Digital Age

Taylor, Anneliese Anneliese.Taylor at ucsf.edu
Thu Jun 4 13:59:10 PDT 2015

[Cross-posted message]

Please join us at ALA Annual for the ALCTS President’s Program: Three Short Stories about Deep Reading in the Digital Age

You’re probably reading this message on a screen—a phone, a tablet, perhaps a laptop. Our burgeoning digital culture has all kinds of effects on us—especially on our brains and how we think and read.

Maryanne Wolf, author of Proust and the Squid: the Story and Science of the Reading Brain, will share three stories to consider:

·        the transition from a literary to a digital culture—with its concomitant effects on the changing reading brain

  *   the beauty and the threats of the digital milieu on the next generation of readers
  *   the stewardship role played by the library in the preservation of "deep reading" in our culture

Join ALCTS President Mary Page in welcoming Professor Wolf as she shares her stories.

Don’t miss this program!