[Eril-l] EBSCO Usage Consolidation Pricing change

Tricia Clayton tclayton3 at gsu.edu
Thu Apr 30 14:55:30 PDT 2015

We have been using Usage Consolidation for a few years now.  We were not very pleased a few months ago when we learned about the new business model of bundling UC renewal with a mandatory usage loading service for 5 platforms.

We did renew - we have invested a lot into setting the system up and are seeing the benefits of having our usage data consolidated.  But I think we'll be monitoring this development closely.  Here are our biggest issues with the loading service - some of which other posters have mentioned.

1) We have already configured, historically loaded, and performed initial troubleshooting on all of our COUNTER compliant platforms.  All that is left for the loading service to do now is load reports for 5 platforms twice a year.  This really doesn't take very long.  For the minimal amount of time this takes, I suspect we are paying EBSCO at a higher rate than we are paying our staff member who is responsible for the rest of our loading.

2) There is more to our workflow than just loading reports in Usage Consolidation.  For example, we store the original reports on our network, and in some cases we collect more report types than UC can handle.  So, we can't sit back and ignore these platforms even though EBSCO is going to take over part of the work.  How much time is this really saving us?

3) As others have mentioned, loading of some platforms is rather complex.  And while the idea of SUSHI is attractive, for now we have abandoned the practice because it required too much monitoring to see if it was working correctly.   I'm not sure to what extent I trust an outside organization to do things accurately.  And I'm not sure how much "tracking" we'll really be required to do in order to ensure quality control.  For these reasons, we didn't take full advantage of the service.  We gave them EBSCO's own platform, and a couple additional tricky ones, but we did not pass off the ones we have found most troublesome.  We just finished the license negotiation [yes, we needed another one, and at my institution this is no fast task!], so we haven't had our first loads yet.  We'll see how this year goes - if things go well, we might think about passing off more difficult platforms in the future.

Tricia

Tricia Clayton
Collection Services Librarian
Georgia State University Library