[Eril-l] DDA pool: disentangling DDA publisher exclusions from high STL charges

Swindler, Luke luke_swindler at unc.edu
Wed Dec 17 09:04:23 PST 2014

Jennifer (and also Melissa Belvadi),

Librarians of course must work within the context of what the platform currently allows, while also continuing to have on-going and frank conversations with publishers/vendors about what is optimal.   (Specifically I spend a great deal of time working with content providers on e-books issues in terms of what works best for libraries and readers, advising them on these matters, and responding to their requests for input.)

My goal is to have the collections function insofar as possible according to what I call my “Triple A Philosophy”:  Automatic, Algorithmic, and At Point of Need.  Controlling costs for a large and rapidly growing DDA pool by triggering mediation at a fixed dollar threshold price on the first STL charge represents the best compromise for UNC in terms of what the platform options currently exist.  Ideally, I want a “Triple A” solution mentioned above and have indicated this to the EBL (along with how I think it would work).

Luke Swindler