[Eril-l] DDA pool: disentangling DDA publisher exclusions from high STL charges

Diane Westerfield Diane.Westerfield at ColoradoCollege.edu
Wed Dec 17 08:33:13 PST 2014

One thing our consortium experienced was an increasing price for 7 day loans versus 1 day loans, especially on science/engineering titles. So we nixed 7 day loans, at least for some publishers that were boosting prices too high.

This was changed fairly recently. It's probably too soon to say how much money it's saved us, or how many patrons have been inconvenienced by having 1-day loans instead of 7 days.

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu
(719) 389-6661
(719) 389-6082 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of jsauer at fhsu.edu
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:08 AM
To: Swindler, Luke
Cc: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] DDA pool: disentangling DDA publisher exclusions from high STL charges

When you state, "patrons are presented with a “Request Library Purchase”
button to click if she/he wants to continue reading the DDA e-book with a STL cost of over $50 beyond the free 5-minute browse period." are you indicating EVERY 5 minute browse will generate this, or only the threshold browse (i.e. the STL that triggers an outright purchase)? I see the value of mediation at a purchase point, but not necessarily at the STL point. The mediation issue stirs up debate in relationship to our primary goals for DDA which includes making as much content as possible available to as many of our patrons as possible at the absolute point of need. We (like so many) have large distance student populations spread all around the world. Even if we are attending to the mediation "as soon as possible", our students in China or India are certainly left at a disadvantage to our stateside students (and on-campus students) simply because we are not present when they are doing the majority of their course-work and research (time zones).

This is a great thread -  we've been struggling with how to proceed in "managing" and trying to exert some form of "control" over DDA expenditures.

Best regards,
Jennifer

Jennifer Sauer
Electronic Resources Management Librarian Fort Hays State University Forsyth Library
600 Park
Hays, KS 67601

Voice: (785)628-5262
Fax:(785)628-5415