[Eril-l] Share your experience: Negotiations, gender, and race in library acquisitions

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Sep 5 14:09:29 PDT 2024

Hello,

My name is Amy Pham. I am the Senior Electronic and Open Content Librarian
in the Copley Library at the University of San Diego, San Diego, CA. I am
conducting a research study about the impact of gender or race/ethnicity on
approaching and negotiating library acquisitions in academic libraries. The
purpose of this research study is to explore the connection between gender
and/or race, negotiation approaches, and negotiation outcomes in library
acquisitions.

I would like to invite you to share your experiences through an
interview-based study.

I am seeking participants with a primary role in negotiating library
acquisitions at an academic institution. You will be asked to participate
for 1 hour total in:

   - a 45-minute one-on-one virtual Zoom interview and
   - a 15-minute asynchronous pre-interview activity to assess your
   negotiation style.

You will be asked about your gender, race/ethnicity, job experience and
organization type, negotiation style, and negotiation experiences. You will
also be asked about sensitive topics, such as your experiences with racism
and sexism.

Audio will be recorded for transcription purposes. I will ask for your
permission ahead of time to record audio. You may opt-out at any time.

If you would be interested in sharing your experiences, please email me at a
bpham at sandiego.edu. I will follow up with a consent form for your
participation.

If you participate in the study, no compensation will be provided. All

I appreciate your willingness to assist with this evolving topic in
librarianship. If you have any questions about the project, please reach
out to abpham at sandiego.edu.

All the best,
*Amy Pham *(she/her)
*Senior Electronic and Open Content Librarian*
*Associate Professor*
Helen K. and James S. Copley Library / University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park, San Diego, CA  92110-2492
Phone:  (619) 260-7724 | abpham at sandiego.edu