[Eril-l] myEBSCO folders and UI migration

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri Oct 11 08:38:49 PDT 2024

Hello,

Many of you have probably seen EBSCO's message from 10/8, announcing that
EBSCOhost profiles will be migrated to the new UI on January 7, 2025.

Here at UMBC, we attempted to migrate to the new UI in January of 2024, but
we realized that custom folders created in myEBSCO would not migrate. Items
in the "my folder" folder in myEBSCO do migrate, but to move them out of
their custom folders would mean losing all of the organization and
structure a user has created. We have a significant number of students and
faculty with hundreds of citations sorted into folders for systematic
reviews, etc. who would lose all of this effort. They could download their
custom folders and contents for use in an external system, but with a
limited amount of time to communicate this to users, we opted to switch
back to the Classic EBSCO UI.

Now we face the same problem again, because EBSCO is no longer giving us a
choice about migration timing, and the ability to move custom folders into
the new UI is not expected until April 2025
<https://roadmap.ebsco.com/?_search=folders>. I submitted a case to ask
about this, and EBSCO confirmed that users will not be able to access their
Classic custom folders until this feature becomes available (so, January to
April). We now have even less time to communicate with users about the
urgent need to download their folders out of myEBSCO.

Is anyone else dealing with this issue? It almost feels like EBSCO didn't
expect that many customers were using this feature to be impacted by the
timing. Please tell me I'm not alone in my frustration and puzzlement.

--
Amanda Calabrese (she/her/hers)
E-Resources & Discovery Services Librarian