[Eril-l] What is a book? (EBSCO EDS new custom limiters)

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue Oct 8 09:54:59 PDT 2024

EBSCO has now made available to EDS customers the ability to define a custom limiter.
We are most interested in creating one that is "books only" (encompassing print as well as e).

Because EDS is an amalgamation of databases from many third parties as well as EBSCO's own databases, there is a wide range of terminology in the "publication type" field that can be used to create this limiter.
If you were in the position of creating such a limiter, which of these publication type terms would you include in a "books only" limiter for your patrons to use?
Of course "book" and "ebook" are in the list, but which if any of these others?
Remember the context is a discovery service checkbox limiter that your patrons might select along with providing their specific topic keywords.
Which would your patrons expect to find included in their search?

book chapter
book entry
authored book
edited book
encyclopedia
dissertation
thesis
industry report
market research report
nonfiction work
reference material
report
proceeding / conference proceedings
standard  [ as in engineering standards ]
handbook
collected works - general

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca<mailto:mbelvadi at upei.ca>  902-566-0581
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-4433-0189
my public calendar<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/0fbab27c909e4493be65313bd66d66b6@upei.ca/5fa60af92c6d451c9ddf90c0bb11e00f15552192987609852692/calendar.html>
Make an appointment<https://mbelvadi.youcanbook.me/> via YouCanBookMe
My pronouns are ಅವರು/ಅವರನ್ನು
My emails are sent during the hours that I work and I understand that you will respond during the hours that you work.