[Eril-l] Press Release: Boston Library Consortium Supports Path to Open, Eight Libraries Join the Initiative

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Wed Mar 20 06:20:55 PDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

Path to Open is a community-driven pilot program to support the open access publication of new groundbreaking scholarly books that bring diverse perspectives and research to millions of people. We're excited to welcome the Boston Library Consortium to the program.
Boston Library Consortium (BLC) is a coalition of libraries in the northeastern United States that share knowledge, infrastructure, and resources at scale. Designated as an opt-in program for BLC's member institutions, eight libraries signed on to Path to Open immediately, including Boston Public Library-the first public library to join Path to Open.
"BLC's commitment to the Path to Open initiative marks a step forward in democratizing access to scholarly research and knowledge," says Charlie Barlow, BLC's Executive Director. "By collaborating with JSTOR, the libraries in our diverse membership network are supporting a scalable and sustainable model for open access in scholarly publishing that shows significant promise."
BLC members joining Path to Open so far include: Boston College, Boston Public Library, Brandeis University, Trinity College, Tufts University, the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Wellesley College, and Wesleyan University. The college and university libraries support the learning and research needs of more than 50,000 students and faculty, while Boston Public Library serves over 6 million people.
Learn more about Path to Open<https://about.jstor.org/path-to-open>.
Read the full press release: https://about.jstor.org/news/boston-library-consortium-supports-path-to-open/

Best -
Heidi

Heidi McGregor
VP, Communications
ITHAKA | www.ithaka.org<http://www.ithaka.org/>

ITHAKA's mission is to improve access to knowledge and education for people around the world. We believe education is key to the well-being of individuals and society. Through our work, we make higher education and access to knowledge more affordable, improve outcomes for students and researchers, and preserve knowledge for future generations. Our services include: Constellate, Ithaka S+R, JSTOR/Artstor, and Portico. Learn more at www.ithaka.org.