[Eril-l] Join NISO at ALA 2024 in San Diego

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Jun 20 10:00:52 PDT 2024

**Apologies for cross posting** Are you attending the American Library
Association’s Annual Conference in San Diego this month? If so, you’ll have
a number of opportunities to engage in person with NISO! We hope to see you
at one (or more!) of the NISO-hosted events and sessions below—all taking
place at the San Diego Convention Center and free and open to registered
ALA attendees.

All times Pacific (US/Canada)

Friday, June 28, 12:00—4:00 pm, Room 05 A

The Changing Standards Landscape: 17th Annual NISO/BISG Forum
<https://niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>

This forum will explore the significant opportunities and existential
threats that artificial intelligence poses for the book publishing
industry. It will delve into the exciting potential for enhancing
efficiencies, improving accessibility, and automating workflows. However,
ethical flags will also be raised regarding representation biases,
copyright, and privacy. This event offers insight into AI-informed
publishing’s future while advocating for ethical and regulatory concerns.

Speakers: Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO; Rachel Comerford, Senior
Director of Accessibility Outreach and Communication, Macmillan Learning; Thad
Mcllroy, Electronic Publishing Analyst and Author, and President of The
Future of Publishing; Barbara Kline Pope, Director, Johns Hopkins
University Press; Judy Ruttenberg, Program Director, Association of
Research Libraries; Robin Sloan, Author of Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore
and Moonbound; and Tim Spalding, Founder, LibraryThing.

Saturday, June 29, 3:00pm–4:00pm, Room 06 E

The NISO Collaborative Collections Lifecycle Project (CCLP)
<https://www.niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>

The NISO Collaborative Collections Lifecycle Project (CCLP) seeks to
overcome serious barriers to wider implementations of cooperative
collections management, including the lack of available vendor-neutral
interoperable systems, adequate governance and decision-making frameworks,
and assessment tools. This session will describe the project at a high
level and also provide an update on recent actions that have been taken
under the auspices of funding from IMLS, including NISO working groups
creating a Recommended Practice, ITHAKA S+R research, and user interface
prototyping.

Moderator: Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO

Sunday, June 30, 10:30am–11:30am, Room 01 A

NISO’s CREC (Communication of Retractions, Removals, and Expressions of
Concern) Working Group <https://www.niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>

Retracted research is published work that is withdrawn or removed from the
scientific and scholarly record. Retracted research integrated into the
publication network via citations enables the inadvertent propagation of
potentially unsupported or fabricated data, fundamental errors, and
unreproducible results. The Communication of Retractions, Removals, and
Expressions of Concern (CREC) Working Group was formed to develop a
Recommended Practice to improve communication in the supply chain around
retractions and contribute to the maintenance of trust in the research and
publication process.

Moderators: Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO; Nettie Lagace,
Associate Executive Director, NISO

Sunday, June 30, 1:00pm–2:00pm, Room 01 A

NISO Standards Update <https://www.niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>

NISO is buzzing with activity! Join us for our NISO Update, which will
provide the latest news about NISO in general and our current projects,
including standards, recommended practices, and community meetings covering
many areas of interest to the library community. Working group members and
NISO staff will provide updates on projects underway or recently completed,
including KBART, Open Discovery Initiative, Transfer, Journal Article
Versions, and Accessibility Remediation Metadata.

Moderator: Nettie Lagace, Associate Executive Director, NISO

Monday, July 1, 10:30am - 11:30am, Room 09

SeamlessAccess Update: What’s happening in the world of authentication to
resources? <https://www.niso.org/events/niso-ala-annual-2024>

Join us for an update on the SeamlessAccess Project! This session will
provide an update on the current state of the SeamlessAccess Project and
discuss the roadmap for future work. We will also examine the changes and
challenges happening in the world of authentication as browser vendors
begin to make substantive changes to things like third-party cookie
support, removal of link decorations, and obfuscation of IP addresses.

Speakers: Jason Griffey, Director of Strategic Initiatives, NISO; Justine
Withers,

Electronic Resources Librarian, Miller Library Technical Services, Western
New Mexico University

Again, all events are free and open to registered ALA attendees.You can
also find us at Table #555
<https://hallerickson.ungerboeck.com/prod/app85.cshtml?aat=Pl4yIO1aJRcBce5D0S1RlGx8Shte46rOvpitIm7AJn0%3d>
in the conference exhibits hall, so please stop by—we’d love to share more
information about our work. We’re looking forward to seeing you soon in San
Diego!

Best wishes,

The NISO Team NISO 3600 Clipper MIll Road, Suite 302 Baltimore, MD 21211
Phone: 301.654.2512 E-mail: nisohq at niso.org