[Eril-l] NISO Plus 2024 in Baltimore is just two weeks away!

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Tue Jan 30 08:00:05 PST 2024

**Apologies for cross posting**

If you haven’t yet registered for our NISO Plus 2024 conference
<https://niso.plus/> in Baltimore (February 13–14), now is the time! Our
fifth anniversary Plus conference is just two weeks away.

Hosted in person for the first time since 2020, the NISO Plus Conference
will feature expert panel discussions developed by a planning committee of
information professionals from around the world. Our program also includes
inspiring keynotes from industry leaders, including Thomas Padilla’s
opening address on “States of Open AI” <https://sched.co/1UYAH> and the
annual Miles Conrad lecture, to be delivered this year by Ed Pentz
<https://niso.plus/2023/11/ed-pentz/>. As always, the conference will
emphasize discussion and interactivity in addition to presentations, with
the goal of identifying challenges and opportunities for collaboration in
the information community.

Sessions at the NISO Plus conference in Baltimore will be organized into
three tracks:

The  metadata track covers the latest developments in this important area
critical to the flow of information. Topics include equity in metadata,
author identity and name changes in metadata, and new and emerging uses.
And of course, it wouldn’t be a NISO Plus meeting without a session on
persistent identifiers! This year we’ll explore the role of PIDs in
assessing research.

As the call for greater transparency and accessibility in scholarly
communications continues, a number of sessions consider what the transition
to “open” means for librarians and content and service providers. The open
scholarship track examines this topic across disciplines, including the
humanities and social sciences. It also includes sessions on open access
books (and the infrastructure required to support them), open data,
bibliodiversity, and the tools and tech supporting open research.

The third track, on artificial intelligence, incorporates ideas developed
by attendees of October’s NISO Plus Forum and addresses some of the most
pressing issues around new and emerging technologies falling under the
category of “AI”: the ethical implications of using AI, the role of AI and
machine learning in discovery and search, concerns around intellectual
property, and educating authors and users about AI.

A pre-conference, “Introduction to AI and Machine Learning in Scholarly
Communications, <https://sched.co/1UlA7>” will also be held on Monday,
February 12, just prior to the main meeting. Attendees of this extended
101-style session led by Andromeda Yelton <https://andromedayelton.com/> will
come away with a thorough understanding of how machine learning systems
work, what they are capable of, the services and systems used in scholarly
communications, and the risks involved in those uses.

A final “wild card” track will feature updates on NISO standards, lightning
presentations, and time reserved for important issues that arise between
now and the conference.

(Thank you to our generous NISO Plus Baltimore sponsors
<https://niso.plus/niso-plus-baltimore-2024-sponsors/>: Silverchair
<https://www.silverchair.com/>, the Open Science Framework
<https://www.cos.io/products/osf>, Wiley <https://www.wiley.com/en-us>,
figshare <https://figshare.com/> (our repository host), Cadmore Media
<http://www.cadmoremedia.com/>, the American Chemical Society
<https://www.acs.org/>, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
<https://www.asme.org/>, ASTM International <https://www.astm.org/>, Bowker
<http://www.bowker.com/>, EBSCO <https://www.ebsco.com/>, Atla
<https://www.atla.com/>, CHORUS <https://www.chorusaccess.org/>, Clarivate
<https://clarivate.com/>, Edaptive Technologies
<https://edaptivetechnologies.com/default.aspx>, Modern Language Association
<https://www.mla.org/>, Open Athens <https://www.openathens.net/>, Project
MUSE <https://muse.jhu.edu/>, SPIE
<https://spie.org/publications/spie-digital-library>, Stony Brook
University Libraries <https://library.stonybrook.edu/>, UC Berkeley Library
<https://www.lib.berkeley.edu/>, Crossref <https://www.crossref.org/>, and
the journal Information Services and Use
<https://www.iospress.com/catalog/journals/information-services-use>.)

For more information on sessions and speakers, check out our conference
program <https://niso.plus/niso-plus-baltimore-2024-preliminary-schedule/>,
and register now
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/niso-plus-baltimore-2024-tickets-730776782027?aff=nisoplusweb>
to join us in Baltimore!