[Eril-l] Steam PC Cafe for Libraries

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri Jan 26 07:33:32 PST 2024

Hi Jessica,

We use the Steam PC Cafe model for our Virtual Learning Center in the library.

Our licensing is signed by univ ogc not by anyone in the library.  It took a long time before our ogc decided to approve this.  We and ogc reached out to Steam and never heard back. I think the Steam PC Cafe model is set up so steam won't have to talk to libraries/small orgs, etc.

We've purchased some steam games on our library p-card. If we want the game to be available on 3 workstations, we purchase three copies. We do offer a lot of free steam games as well and some other software we've licensed.

I can talk more about this if you want, if you email me directly.

I was brought into this later in the process and I think the steam pc model wasn't exactly what they thought it would be.

Emily

Emily Ray
Electronic Resources Librarian
Thomas G. Carpenter Library