[Eril-l] Alumni / Retired Faculty (Non-Emeritus) eResource Survey

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Mon Sep 11 15:07:50 PDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to start off with a big thanks to the folks who responded to the
survey regarding off-campus Alumni and Retired Faculty (Non-Emeritus)
access to your library's Electronic Resources. The responses have been very
helpful in considering our approach to calls for Alumni / Retiree access to
eResources. As promised, please find a summary of the results below—I hope
the data will be of some help to folks who are finding themselves at
a similar crossroads. I've done my best to summarize the main themes of the
free-text responses.

---

*Does your library offer off-campus access to Electronic Resources to
Alumni?*
Carnegie Classification No Yes Other
Small 10 2 0
Medium 12 3 0
Large 5 2 1
Very Large 6 4 2
Other (non-US, Specialized Libraries) 1 2 1
Total 34 13 4

*Does your library offer off-campus access to Electronic Resources for
retired (Non-Emeritus) faculty?*
Carnegie Classification No Yes Other
Small 10 2 0
Medium 12 2 1
Large 7 0 1
Very Large 10 2 0
Other (non-US, Specialized Libraries) 3 1 0
Total 42 7 2
*Resources/vendors respondents indicated for Alumni / Retired
(non-Emeritus) access:*
- *Vendors*: Adam Matthew; Annual Reviews; EBSCO; Emerald; HathiTrust; IGI
Global; ITER; JSTOR; Kanopy; Mergent; OECD; ProQuest; Project MUSE; SAGE
-* Resources specifically mentioned*: Academic Search Alumni Edition; ATLA;
Business Book Summaries; Business Source Alumni Edition; CINAHL; Health
Library; HeinOnline; JAMA; Rehab Reference Center; RefWorks; Stat-Ref;
World Shakespeare Bibliography
-* One large collection*: American Film Scripts Online; Annual Reviews;
Asian American Drama; Audio Drama: The L.A. Theatre Works Collection; Black
Drama - 1850 to Present; Black Thought and Culture; British and Irish
Women's Letters and Diaries; Cairn Journals; Canadian Science Publishing;
China: Trade, Politics and Culture, 1793-1980; Classical Music in Video;
Classical Music Scores and Video; Confidential Print: Middle East,
1839-1969; Defining Gender, 1450-1910; Early Encounters in North America;
Empire Online; Erudit journals; First World War; Intelex Past Masters;
Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism; Latino Literature:
Poetry, Drama and Fiction; London Low Life; Mass Observation Online:
British Social History 1937-1972; Medieval Travel Writing; North American
Immigrant Letters, Diaries and Oral Histories; North American Indian
Thought and Culture; North American Women's Drama; North American Women's
Letters and Diaries; OECD iLibrary; Project MUSE; Romanticism, Life,
Literature & Landscape; Slavery, Abolition and Social Justice, 1490-2007;
Theatre in Context Collection; Theatre in Video; Twentieth Century North
American Drama; Victorian Popular Culture; Women and Social Movements in
the United States 1600 - 2000

*Do you have any thoughts about providing access to these user populations?*
-* Barriers to serving these populations*: lack of funding for increased
costs; lack of additional funding from alumni association for alumni
specific products; infrastructure (identity management/authentication);
identifying licenses/vendors that allow for Alumni access and
systematically providing access
- *Observations*: Adoption by retired faculty is very low compared to other
user populations; Potentially good PR / goodwill, but cost (financial and
time) seem to outweigh benefits

Warmest regards,

*Kalvin Van Gaasbeck*

*Head of Electronic Resources & Serials*

University Library

Santa Clara University

500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053

email | kvangaasbeck at scu.edu

work | (408) 554-5356

Check out our new streaming video guide here
<https://libguides.scu.edu/streamingvideo>