[Eril-l] OpenURL link resolver links on Atypon Literatum platforms

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri Sep 8 08:47:45 PDT 2023

The recent mention on this list of Atypon Literatum has spurred me to bring up another issue.

Atypon allows you to configure a link resolver link for your institution. Great! It displays the OpenURL link on reference lists of HTML articles. So far so good. They allow you to use your own custom image. Nice. It also displays them in ToCs when you don't have access to an article. Very helpful.

However, it also displays these links on every article in every ToC, regardless of whether you already have access on the Atypon platform. This seems absurd, because the full text link is right there, so the OpenURL link is a distraction at best.

We asked Atypon about this, and they responded that this is the way it's intended to work, and if we want it otherwise we should speak with our Atypon publishers (the many on this list<https://www.atypon.com/how-we-can-help/client-directory/>). So far we have only asked Taylor & Francis about it. They tried to defend the links when we already have full text, but not very coherently.

So a question and a recommendation. Question: are we missing something, and there is actually a reason to have OpenURL links on publisher versions of record to which we have access? If the system is working as intended these links result in a loop back to the article on the same platform, so I can't imagine we are, but who knows. Recommendation: if you think this is an issue, consider contacting some of the publishers at that link above so we can get some movement on this. Technically, I don't think it should be hard ("if FT=yes, hide OpenURL button") but I don't think the publishers or Atypon quite understand the situation.

Matthew

Matthew Goddard
Access and Acquisitions Head
Iowa State University