[Eril-l] Developing a troubleshooting training

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Oct 26 15:43:28 PDT 2023

Hi,

Stacie Traill and I are teaching our ER&L workshop on practical processes
to develop a troubleshooting training program. It's our 7th time teaching
this workshop, but we revamped it in 2022. If you know anyone who might be
interested, please share the information with them.

Thanks,
Sunshine

E-resource troubleshooting is a complex and time-consuming activity. With
> multiple systems and access pathways involved, effective problem-solving
> requires a sophisticated bundle of knowledge, skills, and tools. How can
> librarians and staff become effective and efficient troubleshooter?
>
> Join ER&L with instructors Sunshine Carter and Stacie Traill for their
> live virtual workshop *Teaching Staff to Troubleshoot e-Resources:
> Practical processes to develop troubleshooting training, **October
> 31-November 2, 2023  |  11:00 am – 1:00 pm (Central). *This workshop is
> hosted live over three consecutive days.
>
> *Ticket Cost: *$175/ single ticket, $131/ group ticket |  Register Here
> <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/virtual-workshop-teaching-staff-to-troubleshoot-e-resources-registration-722888668467?aff=oddtdtcreator>
>
> Through hands-on activities and group discussions, workshop participants
> will learn several practical approaches to documenting their e-resource
> access environment, systems, and troubleshooting methods, then create a
> framework for developing context-appropriate troubleshooting training.
>
> Through live lectures and a mixture of individual reflection, group work,
> and discussion, foundational troubleshooting concepts and tools will be
> covered, helping participants understand how to apply those concepts and
> tools in their own discovery and access environments. Participants will
> also learn how to evaluate training effectiveness and strategies for
> practical reinforcement of troubleshooting techniques and skills.
>
> While the presenters work in an Alma/Primo discovery environment, this
> workshop is system-agnostic. Participants will leave this session with
> frameworks to develop training specific to their own environments.
>
> *Following the workshop, participants will be able to:*
>
>    - begin to document the current e-resource access environment,
>    systems, and troubleshooting methods.
>    - draft a framework for developing context-appropriate troubleshooting
>    training.
>
> *AUDIENCE LEVEL: *Intermediate
>
> *PARTICIPATION: *Live lectures with a mixture of individual reflection,
> group work, and discussion.
>
> *WHAT PAST COURSE PARTICIPANTS HAVE SAID:*
>
>    - *"This was the best workshop I have participated in. They were
>    clear, helpful, and so generous with all the supplementary material they
>    provided us."*
>    - *"This workshop was fantastic and gave me a great framework to
>    develop a course to not only teach ER staff but also front line
>    troubleshooter."*
>    - *"Their content was great; the activities were useful, engaging, and
>    well-organized. Really appreciate their efforts to bring this training to
>    us!"*
>    - *"I honestly felt supported and well-equipped at each stage of the
>    workshop. So glad for the framework the course has given me."*
>
> --
Sunshine Carter
Director, Collection Strategy & eResource Management | University Libraries
| lib.umn.edu
University of Minnesota | umn.edu | 612-625-5615
she, her, hers