[Eril-l] License negotiations and non-credit continuing ed students

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu Oct 26 07:26:54 PDT 2023

Hi all,
As a followup to the earlier discussions about *Access to electronic
resources for non-credit continuing education students, *have any libraries
tried negotiating access for this sub group on campus? If so, what was the
response from vendors and what did they use for pricing? We have been asked
to come up with a number for what additional costs this would entail and I
am not sure how to go about it without reaching out to all our vendors,
which I am hesitant to do.

Since the majority of our licenses are based on FTE and access for
students, faculty, and staff, I wonder how this group of non-credit
continuing ed students factors into other licensing agreements. Who on
campus should decide if these students are within our existing subset of
users? Do you consider them students that should have the same level of
access? I don't think it makes sense to add them to our FTE numbers.

Has anyone broached this with vendors and what was the outcome? Is it worth
pursuing given the work involved to gain legal access for this subgroup?

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences,
Nancy

--
*Nancy Schuler, MLIS (she/her/hers)*
Assistant Professor, e-Resources & Serials Librarian

Eckerd College <https://www.eckerd.edu/library>
4200 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33711
[image: Eckerd College logo]