[Eril-l] Spreadsheet for database renewals - Samples

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri Nov 17 09:57:02 PST 2023

I can't easily share the spreadsheet, because it's our entire acquisitions budget tracking system, not just for the one purpose of subscription dates.
We also use Google Sheets, not Excel, so our team can share it in real time.

But what we do is at the start of every fiscal year, we copy the old spreadsheet file over to a new file, and then move all of the subscription columns to the right (inserting new columns for the current fiscal year).
That way we have the complete history (including the date we processed the invoice last year, and the total cost) from the previous year or two right in the same rows. For awhile I had tried to keep many years together, but it got to be too much, so now we just keep one year back.

I had also at one point written a Google Sheet script that would send an email to the appropriate person if the renewal reminder column in any of the subscription rows had a date that was older than "today". We stopped using that as our subscription list got short enough for the technician to monitor manually, but that's another way to go with this.

If anyone is interested in seeing our Google Sheet script code, I'm happy to share it offline. Unfortunately, one of the few aspects of Google Sheets that is not compatible with MS Excel is the scripting language, so our code would only be relevant to other Google Sheet users.

Melissa Belvadi
mbelvadi at upei.ca
Make an appointment: https://mbelvadi.youcanbook.me/