[Eril-l] Microsoft Azure & Open Athens

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu May 25 15:54:34 PDT 2023

Hi Dana

I strongly recommend that you keep OpenAthens.  To explain why I recommend keeping OpenAthens, I will try to describe SAML-based access and the roles of Azure and OpenAthens.  I’ve attached slides from a presentation Adam Traub and I gave back in 2015 that illustrate some of the SAML authentication concepts and also depict some of the complications you’ll face if you stop using OpenAthens but continue to use SAML directly between your Azure and the various library content vendors.

The tl;dr version: OpenAthens does all the work of creating and maintaining the connectors to hundreds of library content vendors.  Without a service like OpenAthens, you will be faced with trying to create connections to each vendor, and usually, it has to be done by campus IT.  It is a LOT of work, yields inconsistent results, and you will still need a proxy service.

The long-winded explanation:
It is useful to think about Authentication and Authorization as separate steps in granting access.  A user must be able to confirm their identity (authentication) to an Identity Provider (IdP) usually by entering a valid username/password combo. Once a user’s identity is confirmed by the identity provider, it sends some data about the user (attributes such as “this person is a valid member of the university, is a student, and so on) to the service provider (SP)  Based on the supplied user attributes, the service provider determines whether the user qualifies for access (authorization).

For example, here is how an OpenAthens supported login might work at UCF:
A user clicks on a LibGuide link to JSTOR.  The link includes the OpenAthens redirector, which includes a string that identifies the university (UCF).  OpenAthens sees the incoming request, sees that the desired service is for JSTOR, and sees the identifier for UCF.  We’ve already set up OpenAthens in advance to know which resources to allow (including JSTOR) and how to connect to UCF’s Identity Provider (we use Azure).  OpenAthens directs the user to UCF’s identity provider, Azure.  Azure sees the incoming request for authentication, shows the login screen, which our users are very familiar with. If the user enters a valid username/password pair, then Azure sends the user attributes we decided are OK to send to OpenAthens.  OpenAthens then creates a URL to connect to the service, JSTOR.  JSTOR and OpenAthens have worked together to create a connector URL, and have systems in place to do a SAML handshake and pass along the user attributes needed to determine whether to grant access.

Slides 2 through 7 offer a simplified, personified depiction the authentication and authorization steps.  The slides mention Shibboleth, but the same steps apply to OpenAthens (and all other SAML-based systems).  The slides work best in presentation mode so you can see the animation.

At the time Adam and I gave the presentation, UCF was attempting to use Shibboleth for SAML-based access. I was very exited about the prospect, but enabling Shibboleth access was complicated.  It required a dialog between campus IT and each library vendor to work out the connection details.  In addition, the URLs we’d need to use for Shibboleth enabled sites were complex (WAYFless URLs are a mess!).  AND not all vendors are SAML compliant, meaning we still would have to run EZproxy, and we’d have to create different starting URL types for Shibboleth v EZproxy sites.  The beauty of OpenAthens is that your university need only set up the connection between *they* work out the connection details between OpenAthens and the hundreds of vendor sites.

If we did not have OpenAthens, SAML based authentication would not be possible.  And, now that we do have it, I would not want to go back to EZproxy.  It has been a boon for flexible, easy to manage access, and gives good stats to boot.

I hope all this helps.

All the best,
Atheana

Athena Hoeppner (she/her/hers)
Discovery Services Librarian | University Librarian
University of Central Florida | athena at ucf.edu<mailto:athena at ucf.edu>