[Eril-l] Vendor vs. OCLC record for new ejournal purchase

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Thu May 4 16:10:24 PDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

Continuing resources cataloging is my weakness.  Fortunately for that, we
haven't had much funding to buy new journals this past year while I have
been pinch-hitting as the Eresources librarian due to the position's
vacancy.  I'm now adding a new ejournal title to our collection ordered
through our agent, EBSCO.  This ejournal title is not part of a package.
We are using Sierra as our ILS and still attach order records to the
corresponding bib record for new purchases (not sure how other platforms
handle that).

Here's where I need help.  It's not clear to me how new ejournal order
records were managed here in the past.  A review of ejournal order records
in our Sierra system shows some order records attached to vendor bib
records that were added through a batchload from EBSCO into Sierra.  Other
ejournal order records are attached to bib records that were individually
downloaded from OCLC Connexion into Sierra.  I have my own thoughts on what
I think makes sense, but I feel like I need guidance here, especially as we
consider an eventual migration from Sierra.

Should we be attaching order records in our ILS to batchloaded vendor bib
records for ejournals (these have an OCLC field that shows the vendor
number, not the OCLC accession number)? Or should we download the OCLC
record into Sierra for our individually-purchased titles to use for the
order record?  The holdings for these individual purchases are set in OCLC
regardless of where the order record has been attached in Sierra.  And all
of our ejournals are eventually "turned on" in the EBSCOadmin holdings
management knowledgebase, whether they are individual titles or part of a
package.

Thanks for any advice!
Laura

*Laura Turner*
*Associate Dean of the Library*
*Head of Collections, Access, and Discovery*
Helen K. and James S. Copley Library / University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park, San Diego, CA  92110-2492
Phone:  (619) 260-2365 | lauraturner at sandiego.edu