[Eril-l] EDS, EZProxy and SpringerLink woes

Beth M. Johns bmjohns at SVSU.edu
Tue Mar 14 06:08:18 PDT 2023

This has been cross-posted to other lists.

We have a weird and frustrating problem that has been ongoing with EZProxy, EDS and the SpringerLink platform.

We switched our authentication from WAM to EZProxy a year ago. SpringerLink was one of the more reliable platforms that handled this change without a hitch.

However, last fall, around October, we started getting questions from off campus users that they could not access the full text in Springer. The full text should have been available to them because the journal title was a part of our collection and accessible on campus.  Users are asked to purchase the article.  If they are savvy enough, they can go directly to the SpringerLink database through our databases page and find the article that way without any problem. But if using EDS, the problem happens.

We worked with EBSCO extensively for the EDS end of it. They could not find anything broken (we had support, and our LSE was working on this for at least a month).  OCLC has insisted that EZProxy is not the problem (we don't think so either).  Springer insists it is not their problem. We and OCLC think that there is an old WAM proxy IP in their system somewhere that is creating this problem. It's not obvious to us from our admin site.  Our own network is not the problem either.  Obviously, some vendor is the problem.

At this point (we're about 6 months in now on this issue that only affects Springer), we are going to pull in our director. However, I did want to ask the library world if any of you have experienced this problem between EZProxy, EDS and SpringerLInk with off campus users.
Thanks in advance.

Beth

Beth M. Johns, MLIS

E-Resources Librarian

Saginaw Valley State University

Melvin J. Zahnow Library

pronouns: she/her/hers

Learn more here about the E-Resource Unit!<https://librarysubjectguides.svsu.edu/eresources>

LinkedIn Profile<https://www.linkedin.com/in/bethmjohns/>

Schedule:

Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Contact me if you need to meet outside of these hours.