[Eril-l] Associate Director of Collections and Resource Acquisition & Description at UVA Library

Rockey, Leigh A (lar4k) lar4k at virginia.edu
Fri Mar 3 09:04:57 PST 2023

Associate Director of Collections and Resource Acquisition & Description at UVA Library

The University of Virginia Library (UVA) seeks a collaborative, resourceful, and service-oriented library professional as the Associate Director of Collections and Resource Acquisition & Description.

This position connects UVA users with the resources they need through purchasing, licensing, or leasing negotiations. The employee in this position will collaborate with colleagues across the Library and the University to ensure the cost effective, efficient, and ethical acquisition of resources and descriptive metadata as selected for inclusion in the collection. This position manages the unit responsible for ordering, receiving, and purchasing materials, as well as obtaining metadata across all format ranges. The Associate Director serves as a primary contact for a wide variety of resource and service vendors and must develop and maintain relationships with University departments responsible for procurement, financial services, and audits.

The Associate Director will report to the Director of Collections and assist in the management of the Library's $11M collections budget. As currently configured, the position will have 8 direct reports in Resource Acquisitions & Description, although a new team-based internal reorganization is a possibility. The Associate Director will lead the team responsible for all English and romance language copy cataloging, as well as full and copy cataloging for Slavic and CJK language materials.

Responsibilities:

  *   Lead and coordinate a large, dedicated team of Library staff working on collections acquisitions, purchasing, and receiving, as well as descriptive metadata
  *   Collaborate with consortial partners related to procurement, contract negotiation, and resource access
  *   Establish and maintain business relationships with vendors and assess vendor performance
  *   Analyze and utilize new and existing tools to align acquisitions priorities, policies, and procedures with Library goals and with the teaching and research initiatives of the University
  *   Coordinate licensing, access provisions, contract negotiation, and e-resource management
  *   Create and maintain financial and statistical data and reports needed for administrative planning and collection management activities
  *   Lead, integrate and support the Library's Inclusive Excellence plan in all activities
  *

Qualifications:

Required:

  *   ALA-accredited MLIS/MIS, MAS, or a Master's degree and minimum 7 years of experience working in libraries or associated fields
  *   Minimum 4 years of experience working with library acquisitions, collections management, licensing, and vendor negotiations
  *   Minimum of 5 years of experience managing employees
  *   Experience working with library inventory management and database systems
  *   Proficiency with data analysis and related tools to inform decision making
  *   History of collaboration with a proven ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders
  *   Demonstrated initiative and flexibility for successfully leading and creatively working within a dynamic environment
  *   Strong customer service ethic, including the ability to handle challenging situations with tact, discretion, patience and adherence to the Library's Code of Conduct
  *   Superior oral and written communication skills to interact effectively and respectfully across the University
  *   Ability to prioritize and schedule complicated and overlapping projects
  *   Commitment to working with colleagues to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment

University of Virginia Library staff recognize that many of our materials result from, are created by, or represent marginalized groups of people. We are committed to implementing acquisitions and descriptive cataloging practices that represent the scholarly and cultural knowledge and contributions of all people. We also acknowledge that many of the subject headings used to describe marginalized communities are biased and harmful. We support efforts underway throughout the profession to change these terms, and we are implementing local workflows to replace some harmful and racist terms with acceptable headings in our own catalog. In support of our library's reparative efforts, we seek an individual who is prepared to collaborate with us to redress bias and structural racism in our metadata and collections.

Applications received by March 27, 2023 will have priority review, and the position will remain open until filled. The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per University policy.

TO APPLY:

Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs<http://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs>, and search for "R0045479"

Leigh Rockey
Video Collections Librarian