[Eril-l] Predatory Publishing Template Letters & General Counsel Involvement

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Wed Jul 19 07:11:37 PDT 2023

Hello,

Recently we've had several patrons contact us after submitting articles to predatory publishers and trying to withdraw them. I'm working on a libguide about predatory publishing and would like to include template letters for article withdraw and suggestions on if/when to involve General Counsel.

I understand that authors have more legal standing if they haven't signed an agreement transferring copyright and I've found a couple of good template letters that authors can use in this case. I'd love to know if anyone else has assertive template language that has been successful at getting articles withdrawn. Also, do you advise authors to work with General Counsel to pursue withdraw when rights haven't been transferred and requests to the publisher don't work?

I don't think the same type of letter could be used for authors who signed something transferring their copyright to the publisher, though I've seen it is still advised that they write to the publisher/editors requesting withdraw and return of rights. Does anyone have an assertive template letter for this scenario? Is your General Counsel willing to get involved in any way if an agreement has been signed?

I appreciate any suggestions and will of course provide attribution in my libguide for any recommendations that I use.

Thanks!

Kristin Sederstrom
Electronic Resources Librarian
A.R. Dykes Library of the Health Sciences
University of Kansas Medical Center
kaz at kumc.edu<mailto:kaz at kumc.edu>