[Eril-l] Taylor & Francis blocking IP addresses due to excessive use

Joe Marciniak jm110 at princeton.edu
Mon Jan 23 12:31:08 PST 2023

Hi, Kenyon

We had exactly this issue with T&F, but the browser in question was Firefox. After we investigated and identified the person responsible, they stated that while attempting to access content, their browser would reload in quick succession and appear to get caught in an infinite loop trying to reload. I shared this with T&F and they confirmed that this behavior could have triggered the IP block, and they removed the block.

Since that experience, I have asked vendors to confirm that different content is actually being accessed before they block our IP(s). My argument has been that multiple downloads of the same page of an article aren't really a security issue or a violation of our license agreements (I mean, it is excessive downloading, but why would a patron intentionally download the same PDF page hundreds of times, and why would it really matter?).

We also had another experience where the user didn't know where their computer was saving downloaded content, so they kept manually downloading the same article again and again. That also triggered a block due to rapid, excessive downloading detected by the provider.

Hope this helps...
Best,
--
Joe Marciniak