[Eril-l] philosophy about usage in large ebook packages at small institutions

Arndt,Theresa arndtt at dickinson.edu
Tue Feb 7 06:47:05 PST 2023

Hi Melissa -

We're a small, liberal arts college (approx. 2,100 FTE) and I totally agree with your philosophy.   We also "cannot predict which titles our patrons will use" and their use is definitely "idiosyncratic".   We subscribe to multiple, very large ebook and journal packages knowing that some titles will be used a lot, some titles will be occasionally (possibly obviating the need for ILL), and some titles will not be used at all.   We look at the overall VALUE we're getting based on the price we pay.   For some deals, it's actually been less expensive to offer the larger package than to try to purchase smaller subsets (due to the way the vendors bundle things, and getting a lower price tier as a small school).  We also get a lot of package deals through consortia, and our participation (with our price share tiered for our size) helps the consortia members as a whole to get the best possible price and content.

We also don't have the staff to do title-by-title selection (and hope we picked the right things).   And I agree with what you said about DDA - our experience and philosophy is the same as yours.

Hope this helps validate your approach!   Best, Theresa

Theresa Arndt
Assoc. Director for Library Resources & Administration
Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013
Office/voicemail:  (717) 245-1750
arndtt at dickinson.edu