[Eril-l] ADA compliance and third party digital resources

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Mon Apr 24 10:37:13 PDT 2023

Hi all,

The Grand Rapids Public Library has been engaged in a voluntary review to ensure our newly launched website is ADA compliant. We have been working with the Office for Civil Rights and our website vendor (Bibliocommons) to rigorously test the site and remediate any barriers to access.

One issue that has come up is accessibility to the vendor-controlled digital resources that we offer to card holders. Obviously we cannot audit those sites ourselves, but some in our organization have wondered whether we have a responsibility to at least check the login/landing pages, and possibly more.

If your library has gone through a similar compliance review, or have expertise in this area, I'm wondering if there are best practices related to third-party vendors. If accessibility issues are flagged on those sites should we contact the vendor? Something else?

Any insights are appreciated!

Tim Gloege
he/him (https://www.mypronouns.org/)
Digital Collections Librarian
Grand Rapids Public Library
Main Library | 111 Library St NE | 49503