[Eril-l] Job Opening (Deadline Extended): Serials & E-Resources Librarian (Macalester College)
gabrio at macalester.edu
Fri May 20 07:44:56 PDT 2022
We welcome applications for our Serials & E-Resources Librarian position. *The
application priority deadline is May 27, 2022*.
We welcome applications for the following position. Thank you for sharing
this opportunity with your colleagues.
*Serials & E-Resources Librarian*
St. Paul, MN
The Dewitt Wallace Library at Macalester College is seeking to hire an
experienced Serials and E-Resources Librarian. This librarian provides
expertise in and strategically plans for the future of the serials and
electronic resources collections. This individual manages and oversees the
serials collection and the serials portion of the budget as well as
coordinates activities related to acquiring and providing access to
electronic resources. This individual manages, develops and utilizes a
number of systems and applications necessary for delivering our collections
virtually to library researchers both on and off campus. They collaborate
closely with technology staff in the library and throughout Macalester. In
addition, the individual in this position participates in outreach
activities and works closely with our academic community to ensure that the
library collections most effectively and efficiently support college
curricular needs and scholarly endeavors. The Serials and Electronic
Resources Librarian is a member of the Collection Development and Discovery
*About the Dewitt Wallace Library: *
The Library supports the mission of the College by providing the scholarly
information services and resources essential to Macalester’s educational
program. Specifically, the Library:
- Educates and guides users in the research process.
- Enables users to identify and obtain needed information.
- Maintains a secure and supportive environment for the use and
preservation of collections and delivery of services.
- Manages effectively the budget, processes, personnel and technology
needed to accomplish Library goals.
*Collection Development & Discovery:*
- Provides leadership and expertise in managing and strategically
planning for the serials and electronic resources collection of 2,500+
titles and the $1,000,000 + serials budget.
- Holds primary responsibility for electronic resources, coordinates
activities related to acquiring and providing access to electronic
resources, and strategically plans for future needs.
- Shares administrative duties for our library discovery tool (currently
WorldCat Discovery) and continually develops expertise with discovery
technologies and monitors, assesses, and relays information about trends
and innovations to others.
- Provides a high level of personal contact and communicates on a daily
basis with faculty, students, staff and external service providers
including serial and electronic resource publishers, vendors and content
- Reviews, evaluates, and negotiates contracts and licenses for
electronic resources in collaboration with Associate Library Director -
Collection Development & Discovery and Library Director.
- Provides technical expertise in managing and developing several
library online collection delivery systems, including e-resource
knowledge-base updates, use of the Acquisitions and License Manager modules
of the Library's integrated library system, and authentication tools (e.g.
- Troubleshoots issues relating to access and maintenance of electronic
resources. Resolves problems with local systems, publishers, vendors or
consortia which requires a high level of effective communication.
- Oversees the development and operation of assessment tools for data
related to e-resource and serials collections. Gathers, analyzes, and
provides meaningful interpretation of data to assess current e-resource
collections and inform future library decision making and provides annual
COUNTER compliant usage statistics for reporting purposes.
- Maintains and shares current awareness of emerging trends in the
acquisition and management of serials and electronic resources.
- Works closely with colleagues on issues related to maintenance of
automated serials system records, subscription renewals, cancellations, new
orders, invoices, claims and all related correspondence.
- Consistently performs work with attention to detail and in a timely
and accurate manner meeting the needs of the library as well as community
*Departmental and campus liaison responsibilities:*
- Engagement and Outreach: Takes initiative to identify and facilitate
ongoing communication and build relationships with stakeholders (e.g.
academic departments, administrative departments, programs, and
organizations) within the Macalester community on matters related to the
library, our services, trends in the profession, and other areas of
- Teaching and Research: Provides professional and contextually
appropriate expertise to our community.
- Collection Management: Develops and manages collections that are
diverse in format, perspective, and subject area in order to support our
current curriculum and community’s needs and interests.
- Professional Development and Contributions to Library, College, and
Profession: Continually considers and explores new ways to improve library
services and collections. Participates in learning opportunities in order
to stay informed of trends in academic libraries and higher education.
Shares new knowledge and ideas with library staff, the Macalester
community, and the broader library community.
*Key responsibilities, leadership and professional development:*
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Participates in cross-functional work groups according to interests,
skills, and library needs.
- Helps foster teamwork throughout the organization on campus, and
- Helps maintain efficient workflow, procedures, and process
- Contributes to assessment activities throughout the organization
including report writing and data compilation and analysis.
- Contributes to fulfilling the mission of the library and the college.
- Provides service to the college through participation on campus groups
- Serves on professional committees to share our expertise and
experience with others, and to serve as a representative of the college.
- Attends at least one professional conference per year.
- Stays abreast of developments in the field and is engaged in personal
- Contributes to completion of annual library & media services goals.
- Sets and attains annual personal performance goals.
- MS/MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution by the position start
- Minimum of 2 years in-depth experience with managing electronic
resource collections, 3+ years preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Demonstrated skill in trouble-shooting and problem-solving electronic
resources and related technical issues.
- Experience with authentication tools (OpenAthens preferred).
- Evidence of maintaining current awareness of trends, standards, and
technologies related to acquiring, licensing and managing scholarly
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational, problem-solving,
and communication skills, including evidence of ability to work collegially
and collaboratively within and across organizations, as well as with
vendors and publishers.
- Demonstrated leadership in strategically planning for the future of
serials and electronic resource collections.
- Experience with budgeting methods and practices for electronic
resources and serials.
- Experience with assessment methods and practices for electronic
resources and serials.
- Demonstrated ability to review and negotiate license agreements
pertaining to electronic resources, especially in an academic environment.
- Experience with setup and maintenance of knowledge base (e.g. OpenURL
link resolvers) and discovery systems.
- Demonstrated experience in serials management in an academic library.
*Compensation & Benefits: *
This full time position includes an annual salary of $57000-62000 and
includes Macalester’s esteemed benefits package.
To be considered, *please submit your resume and cover letter in one
combined PDF* via Macalester’s Employment Opportunities page
Priority will be given to candidates who apply by *May 9th *and the
position will be posted until filled.
All inquiries regarding this position can be sent to:
*Talent Acquisition Manager *
*jhoward3 at macalester.edu <jhoward3 at macalester.edu> *
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the
inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical
leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100
students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester
is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high
standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism,
multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and
creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual
orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender,
religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building
a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a
multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from
everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of
color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working
environment that is second to none. Please visit
http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information
about benefits at Macalester College.
*Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:*
For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have
received a COVID-19 vaccine. Should a newly hired employee be unable to
receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer
accommodations and assistance.
Questions or concerns about this process should be directed o Bob Graf,
Director of Employment Services, at rgraf at macalester.edu
Associate Library Director
*She / Her / Hers <https://www.mypronouns.org/>*
DeWitt Wallace Library
651-696-6703 | gabrio at macalester.edu
1600 Grand Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105 USA
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Eril-l