[Eril-l] Primo VE - zero search results question for high searches in a single day

Allyson Ota allyson at hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 18 14:09:40 PDT 2022

Aloha all,

I had a great time at ER&L, and one of the conference topics actually
popped up in my inbox today. A librarian here ran the zero search results
report mentioned in Jill Locascio's excellent on-demand session on using
the zero results to inform library instruction. I thought I'd just post
here in case others may have experienced this.

In our report, we noticed some search numbers that seem really high, like,
a search run for the search string ISBN 9781119752585 141 - 143 times per
day. It makes it seem automated, rather than a real student or faculty
member. When I looked it up, the ISBN belongs to an accounting book we do
not own.
Search String Searches Active Tab Search Scope
Date (long desc)
ISBN 9781119752585 143 LibraryCatalog MyInst_and_CI
Mon, May 24, 2021
ISBN 9781119752585 143 LibraryCatalog MyInst_and_CI
Tue, May 25, 2021
ISBN 9781119752585 141 LibraryCatalog MyInst_and_CI
Sat, May 22, 2021
ISBN 9781119752585 141 LibraryCatalog MyInst_and_CI
Sun, May 23, 2021

Any idea what might be the cause of so many searches run?

Thank you,
Allyson

[image: Get Vaccinated U H logo]

Allyson Ota (she/they)
Electronic Resources Librarian

Kapiʻolani Community College Library

4303 Diamond Head Rd., Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 734-9254 | allyson at hawaii.edu
https://guides.library.kapiolani.hawaii.edu