[Eril-l] State of Texas SB20 Restriction on Employment

danielle plumer dcplumer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:59:41 PDT 2022

Allyson,

I'm sorry to hear about this! I understand the frustration.

The SB20 provision is a slightly stricter version of a provision that's
been around for a while prohibiting state employees from going to work for
vendors and then working on projects they were involved with as a state
employee. It used to be that state employees could go to work for a vendor
as long as they were working on projects for other customers. The SB20
change was intended to prevent employees from cutting sweetheart deals with
vendors and then leaving the state for a cushy job with the vendor. Trust
me, it's happened (not in libraries, as far as I know).

As far as state employees not being told about these sorts of things that
can affect their employment, I agree that it's a problem. I don't know how
much training universities provide their employees about state
restrictions, but I do know that librarians are often surprised at the
number of hoops we have to jump through at the state library. I recommend
looking at Appendix 3 of the Texas Procurement and Contract Management
Guide, at
https://comptroller.texas.gov/purchasing/publications/procurement-contract.php,
which gives some of the restrictions for state employees involved in
purchasing.

Danielle Cunniff Plumer, Statewide Resource Sharing Administrator

*Texas State Library and Archives Commission *

512-463-5433 | mobile 737-224-2446 | fax 512-936-2306 |
dplumer at tsl.texas.gov