[Eril-l] Ithaka S+R Streaming Media Report

Makala Skinner Makala.Skinner at ithaka.org
Thu Jun 9 06:29:08 PDT 2022

Hi All,

I am excited to share that today Ithaka S+R released public findings from the most comprehensive survey to date of academic library streaming media approaches at four-year institutions in the US. and Canada.<https://sr.ithaka.org/publications/streaming-media-licensing-and-purchasing-practices-at-academic-libraries/>

The survey explored which vendors libraries are engaging, acquisition models and licensing approaches, current and anticipated budget for streaming, and digitization activity. The survey was conducted as part of a unique partnership between Ithaka S+R and 24 academic libraries and the aggregate findings from their interviews with instructors will be made publicly available this fall.

Today's report on the survey findings sheds light on libraries' streaming media strategies including:

  *   The impact on instruction is the top factor driving academic library decision-making related to purchasing and renewing streaming licenses.
  *   Streaming media is a growing segment of the library materials budget and is projected to double over the next five years.
  *   Libraries are not investing heavily in digitizing VHS tapes and DVDs, instead relying on purchasing and licensing of content to address the demand for streaming media.
  *    Libraries in Canada and the US are taking a similar approach in their streaming media strategies, with a major exception being the extent to which their strategies evolved in response to the pandemic.

Looking ahead, this fall we will publish aggregate findings from the interviews with instructors about their streaming media practices, which were collected by the 24 academic libraries we partnered with in the project.

If you have any questions or input into the project, I welcome you to be in touch.

All the best,
Makala Skinner
Senior Surveys Analyst
ITHAKA<https://www.ithaka.org/> / One Liberty Plaza, 165 Broadway, 5th Fl, New York, NY 10006