[Eril-l] License Negotiation Question

Arndt,Theresa arndtt at dickinson.edu
Wed Jun 1 13:51:27 PDT 2022

Hi Sara -

I've successfully asked to have walk-in access added to licenses by simply asking.  I've never encountered that other type of clause.  I suggest you just ask them to strike that.  In my experience a simple request will often result in the vendor removing an objectionable clause.  Sometimes I think the licenses are written for use with their for-profit customers, but they'll remove clauses for a non-profit educational institution.  If they refuse, you could involve your university general counsel in reviewing the license - a lawyer's objection may carry more weight if the vendor wants your business.

Good luck! - Theresa

Theresa Arndt
Assoc. Director for Library Resources & Administration
Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013
Office/voicemail:  (717) 245-1750
arndtt at dickinson.edu