[Eril-l] License Negotiation Question

Huber, Sara H. sarai at ou.edu
Wed Jun 1 13:31:10 PDT 2022

Hello,

A license has recently come across my desk with two unique clauses that I haven't seen before. The first section defines authorized users as ONLY those that are employed by the institution OR students and teachers of the institution. The language seems to exclude walk-in or guest users from accessing this product. The second section that troubles me indicates that all rights in any patents, designs, copyright, trademarks, etc. that are created or arising from the use of the product are to be assigned to the product owner. Has anyone encountered language like this before, and have you been able to successfully negotiate removal of these license terms? They appear to place an undue burden on the library and is not something that we feel can be enforceable.

Thank you!
Sara Huber
Acquisitions Librarian
University of Oklahoma Libraries