[Eril-l] Press release - Open Access Transformation for Astronomy & Astrophysics

Maria Campbell maria.campbell at edpsciences.org
Tue Oct 19 01:16:34 PDT 2021

*With apologies for cross-posting*

Dear colleagues,

Please see some news about Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A) journal we would like to share with you.

The full press release is available on the A&A news page - https://bit.ly/3DYja0J - and an excerpt is included below.

For any questions or comments, please contact Charlotte Van Rooyen, Director of Marketing and Communications, EDP Sciences: charlotte.vanrooyen at edpsciences.org<mailto:charlotte.vanrooyen at edpsciences.org>

Thank you for your attention.

Maria Campbell
Marketing and Communications Manager

*****

Open Access Transformation for Astronomy & Astrophysics

With the continued support of subscribers, Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A) journal will be published open access in 2022 under a Subscribe-to-Open model.

Paris, 19 October 2021: The A&A Board of Directors has announced that their journal will move to a Subscribe-to-Open (S2O) model. If libraries renew their subscriptions, A&A will be published in full open access in 2022.  Since its launch in 1969, A&A has been publishing pioneering, peer reviewed scientific content. The transition to open access will extend access of its high-quality research to a worldwide audience – furthering the field of astronomy and astrophysics. Library subscriptions, together with substantial contributions from the A&A sponsoring countries, will cover publication and editorial costs and enable content to become open access.

“We have long been interested in transitioning A&A to open access, and have followed recent developments closely”, said Professor André Moitinho de Almeida, Chairperson of the A&A Board of Directors. “It was important for us to apply a collaborative, transparent and rapid conversion to open access and balance that with a model that works for the astronomy community, and we consider S2O a promising approach.”

“Open access widens the reach of our authors’ work. In the interests of advancing open science and serving our community, we are committed to making open access a reality for our journal, with the support of our librarian partners across the world.” said Dr. Thierry Forveille, Editor-in-Chief of A&A. “We urge existing subscribers to renew as soon as they can and encourage other libraries to join the S2O programme and support our open access journey.”

A&A has been published by EDP Sciences since 2000. “Following the success of the Subscribe-to-Open programme introduced with our mathematics journals in 2020, we are looking forward to supporting our A&A colleagues in their transition to open access following a similar model. Focusing on transparency will be a priority in order to boost confidence in the S2O model and allow objective decision-making.” said Dr. Agnés Henri, Managing Director of EDP Sciences.