[Eril-l] Job Posting: Electronic Resources Librarian at MIT Libraries

Kim Maxwell kmaxwell at mit.edu
Tue Oct 12 14:04:12 PDT 2021

Electronic Resources Librarian (Technical Services- Collections)

The MIT Libraries are on an exciting journey of transformation<https://libraries.mit.edu/about/vision/new-urgency/>, prioritizing a digital-first, open scholarship agenda that accelerates the progress of science, promotes equity and inclusion across disciplines, and reduces the marginalization of scholars and scholarship from disadvantaged communities.  We are exercising bold leadership in defining a model for research libraries in an unpredictable future. If you are excited about being part of a team that is implementing new approaches and systems with an equity lens in support of the mission to bring knowledge to bear on the world's great challenges, we would love to hear from you!

The Technical Services department in the MIT Libraries supports and develops the Libraries' collections through acquisitions, metadata and cataloging, shelf-preparation, digitization, and ongoing quality control of materials in all formats. Through these activities, we advance the Libraries' mission of providing a foundation for the generation, dissemination, use, and preservation of scholarly information. The successful candidate will put equity, inclusion, and social justice values at the center of their work, leveraging our resources to expand the accessibility and discoverability of our collections, amplify the voices of marginalized scholars, and shape our initiatives towards openness to align in these critical areas.

As Electronic Resources Librarian, you will provide innovation, expertise, and support for activities relating to the acquisition and management of electronic resources of all types.  As part of our digital-first agenda, we are expediting the acquisition and discovery of electronic content. We have recently transitioned to a new library services platform, Alma, and we want you to be part of exploring and implementing new workflows to scale Technical Services' efforts in ways that will evolve our user experience and better meet their needs. We have a strong electronic resources team with significant experience, and we are looking for someone who can lead the team through the transformations we want to accelerate. Over the past 18 months, as a direct result of the pandemic, we have learned so much about stepping up the provisioning of electronic resources to our user community. Let's combine our knowledge and do great things!

RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:

  *   Lead and participate in workflows for the life cycle management of electronic resources, including trialing, ordering, establishing and maintaining access, invoicing, and renewing of electronic resources of all types, including (but not limited to) ebooks and ebook collections, ejournals, data sets, and databases.
  *   Supervise, develop, and support staff, including both direct reports (3 FTE) and other departmental staff who have interconnected or shared responsibilities ; provide coaching, leadership, and development support for direct reports and other colleagues.
  *   Coordinate with licensing staff to trial, acquire, and renew electronic resources.
  *   Coordinate with metadata staff to ensure ongoing metadata integrity in our various systems.
  *   Coordinate workflows and communication among departmental staff and those across the Libraries to ensure efficiency and understanding.
  *   Lead and coordinate the troubleshooting team to solve access problems for electronic resources.
  *   Develop and champion collaborative working relationships with staff throughout the Libraries, including Collections Strategists and selectors, Scholarly Communications and Collections Strategy, Libraries' financial staff, and others involved in collections activities.
  *   Advise and instruct subject liaisons in policies, procedures, and tools involved in working with electronic resources.
  *   Serve as a member of the Technical Services Leadership Team, as well as other groups in which perspective and leadership in electronic resources management is needed.
  *   Design and produce reports to assist with analysis and management of electronic resources workflow and activity.
  *   Manage activities involving vendors and publishers, including selection, assessment of performance, monitoring service and fees, and communication.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Required:

  *   MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution or a combination of education and prior experience in technical services.
  *   Minimum 3 years relevant experience including supervisory and/or management experience.
  *   Dedication to the value of innovation and experimentation and a desire to advance these values through this position.
  *   Enthusiasm for embracing the empathy, courage, self-reflection, and respect essential in a multicultural, diverse and inclusive workplace, and demonstrated evidence of embracing those values in collections or public service work.
  *   Ability to lead, manage, train, and inspire staff.
  *   Ability to identify problems, think creatively, and carry out solutions independently or as part of a group or team, particularly when several priorities arise at the same time.
  *   Positive service attitude with a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a variety of people, productively handle relationships and conflicts, and to work well with diverse groups of people.
  *   Demonstrated awareness of national trends and developments in electronic resources management.
  *   Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complex concepts to staff with differing levels of expertise.
  *   Demonstrated ability to be flexible, embrace ambiguity, adapt to change and successfully work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
  *   Solid experience with library automation systems and tools, and the facility to learn and master new software, systems, and technology.
  *   Ability to understand, evaluate, and implement new and emerging technologies, particularly those that could facilitate operational workflows.

We expect the candidate to be stronger in some qualifications listed above than others; we are committed to helping our future colleague expand their skills, as well as learning from their areas of strength.

Preferred:

  *   Experience with Ex Libris's Alma library services platform, and FileMaker Pro.
  *   Experience developing and managing relationships with vendors of electronic resources.
  *   Basic understanding of bibliographic records and cataloging practice, and an understanding of how metadata is integral to the lifecycle management of electronic resources.
  *   Demonstrated experience with project planning and evidence of being able to bring complex projects through to completion.
  *   Knowledge of emerging areas and trends in open access, open data, scholarly communications, publishing, and digital scholarship.

The Institute promotes the principle that every person brings unique qualities and talents to the community and that every individual should be treated in a respectful manner. All members of the MIT community are expected to conduct themselves with professionalism, personal integrity, and respect for the rights, differences and dignity of others (MIT's personal conduct policy<https://policies.mit.edu/policies-procedures/90-relations-and-responsibilities-within-mit-community/91-personal-conduct-and>).

BACKGROUND READING:

  *   MIT Libraries Vision: A New Urgency<https://libraries.mit.edu/about/vision/new-urgency/>
  *   MIT Open Access Task Force Recommendations<https://open-access.mit.edu/>
  *   MIT Institute-wide Task Force on the Future of Libraries Report<https://mitl.pubpub.org/pub/future-of-libraries/release/1>
  *   Creating a Social Justice Mindset: Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice in the Collections Directorate of the MIT Libraries <https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/108771>
  *   MIT Framework for Publisher Contracts<https://libraries.mit.edu/scholarly/publishing/framework/>

SALARY AND BENEFITS: This job is a pay Grade 8 with the following range (min-mid-max):

67,080

88,910

110,740

Actual salary will depend on qualifications and experience. MIT offers excellent benefits including a choice of health and retirement plans, a dental plan, tuition assistance, and fully subsidized MBTA passes for local bus and subway service. Flexible work arrangements, including flex-time and flex-place, are considered for positions that meet established criteria. The MIT Libraries is a collegial and supportive working environment and fosters professional growth of staff with management training and travel funding for professional meetings

APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply online at: https://hr.mit.edu/careers applications must include cover letter and resume. Priority will be given to applications received October 20, 2021; position open until filled. MIT is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community and particularly encourages applications from qualified women and minority candidates. Professionals who enthusiastically embrace the empathy, courage, self-reflection and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse and inclusive workplace, and who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions are encouraged to apply.

ABOUT THE MIT LIBRARIES:
The MIT Libraries support teaching, learning, and research across the Institute, with millions of resources, deep expertise, and five campus locations where our community consumes and creates knowledge. Our organization is on an exciting journey of transformation, pursuing a digital-first model for research libraries and prioritizing an open scholarship agenda. We aim to exercise bold leadership in defining a model for research libraries in the future, with innovative spaces like the newly renovated Hayden Library and a focus on supporting data-intensive and computational research and learning.

We strive to do great things, powering the MIT community to solve complex problems in the service of humankind, and each member of our 146-person staff has a role to play in pursuing that vision. We're constantly adapting to the rhythms of a changing world, and we welcome candidates who can help us do that in thoughtful and strategic ways that center our mission and values.

MIT Libraries is an environment that welcomes any body, any mind - including all genders - and particularly encourages applications from underrepresented minorities, women, disabled applicants, and veterans. Professionals who enthusiastically embrace the empathy, courage, self-reflection, and respect of a multicultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace and who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions are encouraged to apply.

Kim Maxwell     (she/her/hers<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.mypronouns.org/__;!!OToaGQ!_4Y32XP6mR9wzQaRLI8_xTECRPgv5CD3K0dBajzGdQBqbXZNizAtC8c2gjYhiBbd9grx6w$>)
Head, Technical Services
MIT Libraries | Cambridge | MA
kmaxwell at mit.edu<mailto:kmaxwell at mit.edu>

Note:  My working hours may not be the same as your working hours.  Please do not feel obligated to read or respond outside of your own work schedule.